Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Study Buddy from Europa


























Back in 8th grade, when I was just starting to draw anime in an obsessive compulsive manner, I would draw this dude on the side of my notes. Granted at the time he was an inch large chibi drawing with no real facial features and the clothes weren't well designed and it was a LOT worse, but still, there he was. My study buddy from Europa (I had a major hard on for astrnomy).
So one day in class, now in college, he just comes up in the page of my sketchbook, full body and more detailed. . . and with some actual anatomy. I cropped it off the picture but I wrote on the side "Wow. . . I haven't drawn him in like, what, 8 years?"
Side note: when I drew him out, a grad student in my class, who is like fucking good at medical illustration, leaned over and said 'what you drawing?' 'Oh just doodling' 'you're really good at doodling' 'uhm, thanks?' 'I mean it. I could never do that'. Then I just kind of gave him this OMG YOU'RE KIDDING look. B/c I mean, come on, this is not all that great. But it kind of boosts the small voice in my head that says 'GET A JOB IN COMICS!'

No comments: